Sunday, January 5, 2014

Maisha


I wish I could say I love the village of Tabaka but it is so incredibly boring. I really have to plan ahead if I am going to leave the gates of the hospital. It’s hard to adjust to this simple and slow lifestyle when I love adventure.  Because I was getting cabin fever I decided to visit Kisumu over Christmas.

I was attracted to Kisumu for several reasons. First, it’s relatively close to Tabaka. Second, the city is on Lake Victoria. Lastly, I went to work at Maisha (an Orphanage and community center). My family in Oklahoma City has recently connected with the founder of this organization and suggested I go for a visit. Maisha is a nonprofit organization established by a Kenyan, but ironically it’s based out of Oklahoma City. Maisha’s mission is to inspire people to help people and strengthen the community by finding lasting solutions to stop poverty, hunger, and disease.

Before going I did a little bit of research on Maisha, the mission sounded great, but, I’m always skeptical with organizations such as this given my past volunteer experiences. Based off of my previous experience with orphanages in Africa I was expecting complete chaos. I was expecting a dirty facility with kids everywhere craving attention. I was expecting a place that’s main goal was to keep their children fed and anything else such as education, cleanliness or health care would be extra. Once I arrived and met Beatrice, the founder, I was pleasantly surprised. I found a clean facility that only houses about 25 children. I found a place that works closely with the community and stressed helping your fellow Kenyan, and a place that sponsors hundreds of children to go to school. Lastly, I found a place of joy that I genuinely felt had the best interest of the children, and had not been effected by corruption, a rare find in Kenya.

While at Maisha, I met many of the children being sponsored to go to school. I saw the farm they use to feed their children, and the sewing machines they use to produce products to create income.   I also saw the Maisha Academy (their school) and the soon to be health clinic. Like I said before, I really feel like this organization has the best interest of the community. So many children are fed and go to school as a result of Maisha.

Learning about Maisha mission, as well as their hopes to establish an outpatient health clinic really makes me want to get involved.  After learning a little bit more it’s clear they have the infrastructure but not the resources. My goal is to get Maisha in contact with CMMB to discuss the idea of sending a medical volunteer or at minimum donating medical supplies. I know it’s going to be a process, but, I think it would really be amazing if I can bring two organizations together to help educate, empower and provide health care in a rural area in Kenya. I have so much faith in both organizations, I would love to bring them together. I’m still brainstorming ideas on how to help establish and outpatient health clinic but I will keep my readers updated.

 I also managed to have a lot of fun while I was Kisumu. For the first time in a month I slept in an amazingly comfortable bed and ate amazing food. Maisha had a Christmas Party for everyone in the Maisha program. They slathered a cow for the occasion and every part of it was used. Over 600 people were fed on Christmas day. In addition, everyone got soda that day. I was told this is a big deal since they only get soda once a year. I could tell the children were excited when they refused to play and just watched the cases of soda until they all received one at meal time. The party also had a dj, Santa and face painting. Usually I don’t enjoy Christmas (you may call me the Grinch) because it’s so commercialized in the U.S., but this Christmas was absolutely amazing.  I was met amazing people and helped serve a population in need. This is what Christmas should be about, enjoying peoples company, serving others, being thankful for what you do have, and appreciating the little things… such as one bottle of soda.

Throughout the week I was able to meet so many inspirational people. Hearing the orphans stories about who they are and where they came from makes me want to be a better person. So many of them have lost both their parents. Many of them came from living on the streets forced to raise themselves. They told me about their sad pasts and their dreams of a happy future. It amazed me how every single one of them wanted to go to school because “education is power”. Education is your ticket out of poverty. I fell in love with each and every one of them. Their strength amazed me. However, seeing these children working so hard against all odds made me angry. Not angry with them but angry with my country. We are blessed with a free education, why do some people fail to take advantage of it? Why are so many people inherently lazy? I can’t stop thinking “education is power”. It’s not just specific to Kenya, education can make or break someone, regardless where you are located in the world.

Lastly, in Kisumu I was able to do some sightseeing with the older orphaned boy. I was excited but they were REALLY excited. We went to Lake Victoria, saw some hippos, and went on a boat ride. The boat ride was beautiful but scary. First, it was windy when we took the boat out. Second, the boat was made of wood, and lastly it was in hippo invested water. Throughout the ride I kept thinking if this boat sinks what will I do? Will I try to save myself and swim to shore, or, will I try to save an orphan. Then I thought if I had to save someone who would it be? Next, I wondered would it even be worth it because I’m sure the hippos would kill me and then crocodiles would eat my body. I'm so ashamed of myself. Good thing it didn’t have to come down making those decisions.

So blessed to have an amazing Christmas and spend it with amazing people.
The cow
 

Maisha (Maisha means life in Kiswahili)

Face painting
 
Soon to be health clinic

Cases of soda
 

Boys and I at Lake Victoria
 
Enjoying Soda
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment