Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"I can drink it?!?"

 
"Everyday I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings. Friends that turned into family. Dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love." -unknown author
 
There are so many times I wish I had a hidden camera. That way I could capture the precious and heartfelt moments that I am often unable to share. Fortunately, I have been able to capture one of these moments that I will treasure forever.
 
This is Collons, a child I have known for several months now. Less than a year ago he was living in a field only eating the food he could find on the streets. Today I can definitely say his life has changed for the better. He has a place to sleep, food in his belly, and is even attending school. In this video he is showing me the new toilets and sinks that have been constructed at his school. I am always so thankful to experience precious moments like this. Moments filled with so much sincerity and happiness over objects that most of us feel entitled to.
 
I often question, what if we were all like Collons? What would happen if we focused on the things we had rather than the things we didn’t? Coming from the states it is no secrete that we live a life of excess, and, because of that lifestyle, I feel like we often lose sight of what it means to be thankful.
 
Watch this video and listen to his sincerity. Then, I challenge you to stop and think about all the material and nonmaterial things we take for granted.  Finally, think about how amazingly blessed we are to have our basic needs met; for I can say I have never faced true hunger, homelessness, or poverty.
 
 
I love how Collons has so much excitement because the toilet flushes.
I also love how happy he is now that he has access to clean water.
Simple things we often take for granted.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment