Monday, September 15, 2014

"I'm sorry chicken!"


“I have absolutely no regrets in life except the things I didn't do when I had the chance." - Donald Pillai
There has been one true African experience I have been dying to have, slaughtering a chicken. Call it weird, but, in a way slaughtering a chicken is almost a rite of passage. You must slaughter a chicken to prove you are capable of survival. If not, you go hungry.
 
At last, I have done it! A few of my coworkers and I organized a day where we would have "a party" and slaughter a chicken. However, the only thing worse than someone slaughtering an animal for the first time, is someone slaughtering an animal for the first time with a dull knife. I'm so sorry chicken!
 
 
Warning! This blog contains photos and a video of the slaughtering of a live animal. All parts of the animal were used.   
 
 
Slaughtering a chicken 101

 

Select a "kuku". But first you must barter on the price.
Price depends on size, age and type of chicken.
Price also depends on if the buyer is white.
 
 
Set up the jiko. This is the most common means to
cook. You must have the charcoal catch on fire. 
Next use jiko to boil water.
 
 
Assume proper slaughtering position. 
 
 
Changing positions. Not quite ready to slaughter
by myself.
 

Assume new position. Head, wings, and feet are
held down. Pluck feathers at the neck. Proceed
to kill. 
 
 
Once the chicken has been slaughter place in a bucket.
Boiled water from the jiko will be poured on the chicken.
Boiled water makes it easier to pluck the feathers.

 
Coworkers plucking feathers.
 
 
Plucked chicken.
 
 
Dismember the chicken.
Please note that is the head.

Continue to dismember.
 
 
Cook chicken. Lets get real, I know nothing about
cooking. My coworkers cooked.
 


Our meal.
 I cut the avocado, that's contributing right?
 
Ben, Edwin and Gerald enjoying our meal.
 
 
 I recommend you watch the video if you need a
good laugh. Slaughtering the kuku from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment