Thursday, February 19, 2015

A world of technology and convenience


“Here there is any convenience you can imagine. Water running from every tap, hot and cold as you wish; lights at the flick of a switch, day and night, no need for oil lamps; ovens to cook on that don’t need anyone to go fetch gas cylinders from the bazaar. Here everything is so modern one can even find food ready cooked in packets.

When I stand in front of my window and look out, I see tall buildings, long roads full of vehicles moving in orderly lines, neat green hedges and lawns, and tidy pavements to walk on. I close my eyes and for a moment I am back in my village—high snow topped mountains, green waving fields and fresh blue rivers—and my heart smiles when it looks the people of swat.” –Malala Yousafzai

I have been back home in the United States for three months now, I have been meaning to write and publish this post for some time. However, something in me couldn't get myself to write this post. In a way I feel like it is my last goodbye and putting a close to this chapter of my life in Kenya.
The last photo I took in Kenya. A wall painted with
Obamas face. 

Volunteers often say it is more difficult to adjust when coming home then it is going into the field. I would have disagreed... at first. Between my continued involvement in Maisha, job search, apartment search and phone plans, my days went from the slow pace Tabaka lifestyle to earth shattering speeds. Initially I was disoriented and lost in the world of technology and convenience. I had little time to think.  In a short 72 hours I went from being in a dusty little village waking up to the sunrise, to my family’s home in Oklahoma City equipped with everything I have missed over the past year and more.
Back in the United States working with my Maisha Boys. 

I don't know if I'm giving a pep-talk or scolding someone. 

Wecliff and Steven. 

Maisha Banquet.
American food!!!!

Enough said!

Chipotle!

Once I got home it was great seeing friends. However, after some time passed I began to realize how much a year can really change a person, both myself and friends included. As for my family, they are amazingly supportive of my passion for global health and for that I am incredible thankful.
Missed my friends.



Family American football game.

My Parents dressed up for Halloween. 

Within a month of my return I was offered a position at The University of Maryland Medical Center as a multi-trauma shock trauma nurse. So like I said, at first I had very little time to think about the experience I just had. I was lost in the land of multidisciplinary rounding, IV pumps and alarms . Oh boy... it was reverse culture shock. UMMC being a nationally recognized teaching hospital we get some of the sickest of the sick. In my few months here I have NEVER had to make a decision based off of finances or lack of resources. NEVER once have I had to take oxygen off of a patient to give it to another or deny a patients potential live saving medicine because of their personal finances. UMMC you could say is the epitome of modern medicine, with a bottomless pit of resources. Tabaka could sustain its self for years if they received even a fraction of UMMCs funding. It’s incredible how much money and manpower the health industry has in the United States. Expensive medicines, repeat labs, drips, multidisciplinary teams, state of the art facility, and the newest technology.

You may think I make these comparisons because I resent American health care. However, I make these comparisons because I DO NOT! Often I feel volunteers look at our system and compare it to developing countries and end up resenting the United States. But I ask you, wouldn't you want this level of care for your family? Wouldn't you want this level of care for people worldwide? I don’t hate our PRIVLIAGED Health Care system, however, all I know after working at Tabaka, UMMC is just a blatant reminder of the health disparities worldwide.

In addition to working in Baltimore City, I now live here. I don’t know why I picked this god-awful city! As a die hard Steelers fan I now find myself living right next to the Dirty Birds stadium. It’s a rough life being a Steelers fan in Raven territory.  Again, it’s completely different than Tabaka. Instead of listening to chickens I hear car horns and sirens. When I look up at the sky I no longer see stars but the city lights. I can’t say I hate living in Baltimore but it’s defiantly an adjustment.
Go Steelers!

Finally as for Tyson. He is still at Maisha. No one, not even children services has come looking for him. It’s a blessing in disguise! He is in middle class (second year of kindergarten… they have three years of kindergarten… don’t ask me why). At first I was very worried how he would adjust moving away from his village and tribe, but time and time again Tyson continues to prove his resilience. He is now fluent in Kisii, Luo and Kiswahili. He is currently learning English. He still remains ornery and for a while we had some trouble concerning obedience. When Tyson first started school his head teacher would often call me saying “your boy is very naughty, what will I do about your boy”.  However, his behavior has improved immensely now that he has structure and discipline. Living right on the lake Tyson has developed a love for fish. He also has a group of friend (who he bosses around) and loves football and painting.  Tyson and I speak about once a month. Our conversations usually consist of me telling him to behave, and he interrogating me on when he can come to America. Our conversations always end with tears, I love you’s and me threatening him to be a good boy!

I love our talks!


Tyson and his friends!


Whats not to love about this face? He looks happy and healthy.


My experience in Kenya was truly blessing on a personal level. I met amazing people, fell in love with Tyson, and gained a better understanding of world health. I vividly remember a fellow volunteering asking me if I would be fulfilled after serving a year abroad. I know now the answer, no!  It was by far the hardest experience I ever had but I’m already ready to do it again. My experience with CMMB was truly amazing and has really made me consider a change in my career path. Because of my love for global health I will be applying for Graduate Studies in Public Health Global Health.

To everyone who read my blog, thank you! To everyone at home, thank you! To my friends, thank you. To my parents thank you for your support and willingness to grow a little more grey hair because of me! Most importantly to my Kenyan friends, coworkers, brothers, sisters, fathers, and fellow CMMB volunteers, thank you. I loved living, working, learning, laughing and crying with you. Not a day goes by where I don’t think of you! Asanti, Nakupenda Sana!

See you on my next world health adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment