Monday, December 9, 2013

Tabaka


I have arrived at Tabaka. Tabaka is small town located in western Kenya (Nyanza province). I would like to say the ride from Nariobi to Tabaka was uneventful but my car was involved in an accident. No one was injured (thank god) but it resulted in waiting four hours at a police station located in Rift Valley. Needless to say the situation made me nervous.
I have finally started working. I have been placed on the maternity ward. Never in a million years did I think I would be a maternity nurse. I never really thought I was “cut out” for mommies and babies. Although I just started, I know this ward is going to be full of emotions. Seeing life happen in front of you is truly a miracle, it’s the most amazing experiences to be a part of a healthy birth. Unfortunately, mother or baby death are far too common here. Today, I lost my first patient. Her name was Juliet. Juliet was born 30 weeks gestation. Despite being premature she lived 4 weeks and 5 days. In fact, she was getting strong and healthier by the day. Then, I arrived to work this morning and baby Juliet had died. The nurse had no explanation as to what happened, in fact looking through the notes baby Juliet had not been monitored all night. The doctor believes the mother fell asleep on her.
Situations like this are extremely frustration. In such a fragile state this baby should be monitored throughout the night and slept separate from her mother. How did this breakdown in care occur?
There are several other things I have witnessed that would never occur in the United States. Seeing this I am beginning to realize why I am here. To educate and hopefully set a good example as to what it means to monitor, access, and care for your patients.

Tabaka Mission Hospital (outside the maternity ward)

Delivery room
 
Looking way more important than I am

No comments:

Post a Comment